Google Maps is a powerful tool for local businesses to attract and engage with potential customers. According to a survey, 67% of consumers prefer Google Maps over other navigation apps, and 86% of them use Google Maps to look up a business. Moreover, 46% of all Google searches have local intent, and the top three Google Maps listings also show up in regular Google search results for relevant queries.
This means that ranking higher on Google Maps can greatly increase your visibility, traffic, and conversions. But how do you achieve that? What are the factors that influence your Google Maps ranking? And what are the best practices to optimize your Google Maps listing for SEO?
The article covers 10 proven techniques for Google Maps SEO, such as:
- Creating and claiming your Google Maps listing
- Entering complete and accurate data
- Managing and responding to reviews
- Adding photos and videos
- Adding in-store products
- Optimizing your website for local SEO
- Building local citations and backlinks
- Leveraging social media platforms
- Using Google Posts and Q&A
- Tracking and monitoring your performance
Here are some answers to the questions:
- How to Improve GMB Ranking?
To improve your GMB ranking, you need to optimize your Google My Business profile by providing complete and accurate information, managing and responding to reviews, adding photos and videos, adding in-store products, using relevant keywords, creating Google posts and Q&A, and tracking and monitoring your performance.¹
- Why Rank Higher on Google Maps Pack?
Ranking higher on Google Maps Pack can help you get more exposure, traffic, and conversions from local customers who are looking for your products or services. It can also help you stand out from your competitors and increase your credibility and trustworthiness.²
- Key Benefits of Getting Ranked in the Google Maps Pack
Some of the key benefits of getting ranked in the Google Maps Pack are:
- You can attract more attention and clicks from users who see your business listing on the top of the search results.
- You can provide more information and options for users to engage with your business, such as directions, call, website, reviews, etc.
- You can showcase your products, services, offers, events, etc., through photos, videos, posts, and Q&A.
- You can improve your local SEO ranking and visibility across Google products, like Maps and Search.³
- Determining the Google Map Ranking
Google Map ranking is determined by three main factors: relevance, distance, and prominence. Relevance is how well your business matches the user’s query. Distance is how far your business is from the user’s location or search area. Prominence is how well-known or popular your business is based on information from the web, such as links, articles, reviews, etc.
- How to Rank on Google Maps?
To rank on Google Maps, you need to create and claim your Google Maps listing through Google My Business. Then, you need to optimize your listing by entering complete and accurate data, managing and responding to reviews, adding photos and videos, adding in-store products, optimizing your website for local SEO, building local citations and backlinks, leveraging social media platforms, using Google Posts and Q&A, and tracking and monitoring your performance.
- How does Google My Business work?
Google My Business is a free tool that allows you to manage your online presence across Google products, like Maps and Search. It lets you create and update your business profile with information such as your name, address, phone number, category, hours, website, etc. It also lets you interact with your customers through reviews, photos, videos, posts, Q&A, etc. It also provides you with insights and analytics to measure your performance and improve your ranking.
- How Do I Rank Higher in Google Maps?
To rank higher in Google Maps, you need to optimize your Google My Business profile and your website for local SEO. You need to provide complete and accurate information about your business, manage and respond to reviews, add photos and videos, add in-store products, use relevant keywords, create Google posts and Q&A, build local citations and backlinks, leverage social media platforms, and track and monitor your performance.
- Tips to Rank Business on Google Maps
Some of the tips to rank your business on Google Maps are:
- Claim and verify your Google My Business listing.
- Enter complete and accurate data about your business.
- Choose the most specific category and attributes for your business.
- Write a compelling description that highlights your unique selling proposition.
- Collect and respond to reviews from your customers.
- Add high-quality photos and videos that showcase your products or services.
- Add in-store products that match the user’s search intent.
- Optimize your website for local SEO by using keywords, landing pages, schema markup, etc.
- Build local citations and backlinks from reputable and relevant sources.
- Leverage social media platforms to increase your online presence and engagement.
- Use Google Posts and Q&A to provide timely and useful information and answer common questions.
- Track and monitor your performance using Google My Business Insights and other tools.
In this article, we will answer these questions and share 10 proven techniques to boost your business ranking on Google Maps in 2023.
- Create and claim your Google Maps listing
The first step to get a chance of a higher ranking on Google Maps is to create and claim your business through Google Maps. This is a simple process in which you’ll be asked to fill in information about your business, such as address, phone number, category, attributes, hours, website, etc. You’ll also need to verify your business location by receiving a postcard with a code from Google.
Creating and claiming your Google Maps listing will help you manage your business information, respond to reviews, add photos and videos, update your hours and services, and more. It will also make your business eligible to show up in local search results across Google products, like Maps and Search.¹
- Enter complete and accurate data
Local results favor the most relevant results for each search. Businesses with complete and accurate information are easier to match with the right searches. Therefore, it’s important that you provide as much information as possible about your business in your Google Maps listing.
Make sure you enter the following data correctly and consistently:
- Physical address: Use the exact address that matches the location of your business on Google Maps. Avoid using P.O. boxes or virtual offices.
- Phone number: Use a local phone number that connects directly to your business location. Avoid using toll-free numbers or call centers.
- Category: Choose the most specific category that describes your core business. You can also add additional categories if they are relevant to your business.
- Attributes: Add relevant attributes that describe the features and offerings of your business, such as wheelchair accessible, free wifi, outdoor seating, etc.
- Hours: Enter the regular hours when your business is open for customers. Update them regularly if they change due to holidays or events.
- Website: Add a link to your official website that represents your business location. Make sure it’s functional and secure (HTTPS).
- Description: Write a brief introduction about your business that highlights what makes you unique and what you offer to customers.²
- Manage and respond to reviews
Reviews are one of the most influential factors for your Google Maps ranking. They not only affect how users perceive your business, but also how Google evaluates your relevance and authority. Reviews can help you improve your visibility, trustworthiness, and engagement.
To get more reviews from your customers, you can:
- Ask them politely after providing a positive experience or service.
- Create a short URL or QR code that leads them directly to your review page.
- Send them a follow-up email or message with a review request.
- Offer incentives or discounts for leaving honest feedback.
To respond to reviews from your customers, you can:
- Thank them for their time and appreciation.
- Apologize for any inconvenience or dissatisfaction they faced.
- Address their concerns or questions politely and professionally.
- Encourage them to visit again or try other products or services.³
- Add photos and videos
Photos and videos can make your Google Maps listing more attractive and engaging for users. They can showcase your products, services, facilities, staff, events, etc., and tell the story of your business. They can also help users get a better idea of what to expect when they visit your location.
To add photos and videos to your Google Maps listing, you can:
- Use high-quality images and videos that are clear and well-lit.
- Choose different types of photos and videos that represent different aspects of your business, such as interior, exterior, team, products, etc.
- Update them regularly to reflect any changes or updates in your business.
- Encourage your customers to upload their own photos and videos of their experience with your business.⁴
- Add in-store products
If you run a retail business, you can show nearby shoppers what you sell by adding your in-store products to your Google Maps listing. This can help you attract more customers who are looking for specific items or categories that you offer.
To add products to your Google Maps listing, you can:
- Use the Products tab in Business Profile to create product catalogs with images, prices, descriptions, etc.
- Organize your products into collections based on themes or categories.
- Update your product information regularly to keep it accurate and fresh.⁵
- Optimize your website for local SEO
Your website is another crucial factor for your Google Maps ranking. It can help you establish your relevance and authority for local searches by providing useful information and content for users. It can also help you drive more traffic and conversions from organic search results.
To optimize your website for local SEO, you can:
- Use keywords that reflect the location and intent of your target audience.
- Create landing pages for each of your business locations with relevant content and information.
- Embed a Google map on your contact page with a marker of your business location.
- Add schema markup to provide structured data about your business to search engines.
- Optimize your site speed, mobile-friendliness, security, navigation, etc.
- Build local citations and backlinks
Local citations are online mentions of your business name, address, phone number (NAP), and other details on various platforms like directories, social media sites,
blogs, etc. Local citations can help you improve your online presence, credibility, and visibility for local searches.
To build local citations for your business, you can:
- Claim and update your business information on popular directories like Yelp, Yellow Pages, Foursquare, etc.
- Use consistent NAP information across all platforms and fix any errors or duplicates.
- Choose relevant and reputable directories that cater to your industry or location.
- Encourage your customers to leave reviews and ratings on these directories.
Backlinks are links from other websites that point to your website. Backlinks can help you boost your domain authority, traffic, and ranking for local searches.
To build backlinks for your website, you can:
- Create valuable and shareable content that attracts links from other sites.
- Reach out to local bloggers, influencers, media outlets, etc., and pitch them your content or offer guest posts.
- Participate in local events, sponsorships, charities, etc., and get links from their websites.
- Join local associations, chambers of commerce, business networks, etc., and get listed on their websites.
- Leverage social media platforms
Social media platforms are another way to increase your online exposure, reputation, and engagement for local searches. They can help you connect with your existing and potential customers, showcase your brand personality, and drive more traffic to your website and Google Maps listing.
To leverage social media platforms for your business, you can:
- Create and optimize your business profiles on popular platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Share relevant and engaging content that showcases your products, services, offers, events, etc.
- Interact with your followers by responding to their comments, messages, reviews, etc.
- Run contests, giveaways, polls, quizzes, etc., to increase your reach and engagement.
- Use hashtags, keywords, location tags, etc., to increase your visibility for local searches.
- Use Google Posts and Q&A
Google Posts and Q&A are two features that allow you to communicate with your customers directly from your Google Maps listing. They can help you provide timely and useful information and answer common questions that users may have about your business.
Google Posts are short updates that appear on your Google Maps listing and can include text, images, videos, events, offers, etc. You can use Google Posts to:
- Promote your products, services, offers, events, etc.
- Share news and updates about your business.
- Highlight customer testimonials and reviews.
- Drive more traffic to your website or landing pages.
Google Q&A is a feature that lets users ask and answer questions about your business on your Google Maps listing. You can use Google Q&A to:
- Answer frequently asked questions about your business.
- Provide additional information that may not be available on your listing.
- Showcase your expertise and authority in your industry.
- Encourage positive feedback and reviews from customers.
- Track and monitor your performance
The last but not least technique to boost your business ranking on Google Maps is to track and monitor your performance. This can help you measure the effectiveness of your SEO efforts, identify areas of improvement, and make data-driven decisions.
To track and monitor your performance on Google Maps, you can:
- Use Google My Business Insights to see how customers find and interact with your listing.
- Use Google Analytics to see how much traffic and conversions you get from your listing and website.
- Use Google Search Console to see how your website performs on organic search results.
- Use third-party tools like Moz Local, BrightLocal, Whitespark, etc., to audit and analyze your local SEO performance.
Ranking higher on Google Maps can be a game-changer for your local business. It can help you get more exposure, traffic, and conversions from nearby customers who are looking for your products or services. By following the 10 techniques we shared in this article, you can optimize your Google Maps listing for SEO and boost your business ranking on Google Maps in 2023. If you need any help with your local SEO strategy, feel free to contact us at Stan Ventures. We are a team of experts who can help you rank higher on Google Maps and grow your business online.
Do you want to boost your business ranking on Google Maps and get more visibility, traffic, and conversions from local customers? If yes, then you need to optimize your Google Maps listing for SEO. But don’t worry, you don’t have to do it alone. SEOGraduate is here to help you with our expert Google Maps SEO services. We have a team of professionals who know how to rank higher on Google Maps using proven techniques and strategies. We will help you create and claim your Google Maps listing, enter complete and accurate data, manage and respond to reviews, add photos and videos, add in-store products, optimize your website for local SEO, build local citations and backlinks, leverage social media platforms, use Google Posts and Q&A, and track and monitor your performance. Whether you have a single location or multiple locations, we can help you achieve your Google Maps marketing goals. Contact us today and get a free quote for our Google Maps SEO services. Don’t miss this opportunity to grow your business online with SEOGraduate.