Google Analytics 4 (GA4) is the latest version of Google’s web analytics platform, designed to help you measure, understand, and optimize your online presence. GA4 is not just an update of the previous Universal Analytics (UA) version, but a completely new way of collecting and analyzing data.
GA4 introduces many new features and benefits, such as:
- A more user-centric approach that tracks users across devices and platforms
- A more flexible event-based model that allows you to measure any user interaction
- A more powerful analysis engine that enables advanced reporting and insights
- A more integrated experience with Google’s marketing and advertising products
- A more future-proof solution that adapts to changing user behavior and privacy regulations
However, GA4 also comes with some challenges and changes, such as:
- A different data structure and terminology that requires a learning curve
- A different setup and configuration process that requires planning and testing
- A different reporting interface and functionality that requires customization and adaptation
- A different data processing and storage policy that may affect your historical data and comparisons
If you are still using UA or have not yet fully migrated to GA4, you may be wondering how to get started, what to expect, and how to make the most of the new platform. To help you with this process, we have compiled a list of 20 resources that cover everything you need to know about GA4 migration.
These resources include:
- Official guides and tutorials from Google
- Blogs and articles from experts and practitioners
- Videos and webinars from educators and influencers
- Tools and templates from developers and marketers
Whether you are a beginner or an expert, a business owner or an analyst, a developer or a marketer, you will find something useful in this list. So, without further ado, let’s dive into the 20 resources for GA4 migration.
Official Guides and Tutorials from Google
The best place to start your GA4 journey is the official Google Analytics website, where you can find comprehensive guides and tutorials on how to set up, configure, use, and optimize GA4. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Google Analytics 4 Help Center: The main hub for all things GA4, where you can find answers to common questions, learn about new features, troubleshoot issues, and access other resources.
- Google Analytics 4 Setup Guide: A step-by-step guide on how to create a GA4 property, connect it to your website or app, verify your data collection, and configure your settings.
- Google Analytics 4 Data Collection Guide: A detailed guide on how GA4 collects data using events, parameters, user properties, audiences, conversions, and e-commerce.
- Google Analytics 4 Reporting Guide: A comprehensive guide on how to use the GA4 reporting interface, customize your reports, create dashboards, analyze your data, and export your data.
- Google Analytics 4 Optimization Guide: A practical guide on how to optimize your GA4 property for better performance, accuracy, security, privacy, and compliance.
Blogs and Articles from Experts and Practitioners
If you want to learn more about GA4 from the perspective of experts and practitioners who have already migrated or are in the process of migrating to the new platform, you can check out these blogs and articles that offer valuable insights, tips, best practices, case studies, and examples.
- The Ultimate Guide to Google Analytics 4: A comprehensive guide by Loves Data that covers everything from setting up GA4 to using its advanced features.
- Google Analytics 4: What Marketers Need to Know: A podcast episode by Social Media Examiner that features Chris Mercer from Measurement Marketing IO who explains the benefits of GA4 for marketers.
Videos and Webinars from Educators and Influencers
If you prefer to watch and listen rather than read, you can also learn about GA4 from these videos and webinars that feature educators and influencers who share their knowledge, experience, and opinions on the new platform.
- Google Analytics 4 (GA4) – Complete Tutorial: A video tutorial by Measureschool that covers the basics of GA4, such as how to set it up, how it works, and how to use it.
- Google Analytics 4: What You Need to Know: A video presentation by Google that introduces the main features and benefits of GA4.
- Google Analytics 4: How to Upgrade & Set Up GA4: A video webinar by CXL that shows you how to upgrade and set up GA4, as well as how to use its reporting and analysis capabilities.
- Google Analytics 4: What’s New & Why it Matters: A video webinar by Analytics Mania that explains what’s new and why it matters in GA4, as well as how to prepare for the migration.
- Google Analytics 4: The Future of Analytics: A video webinar by Blast Analytics that explores the future of analytics with GA4, as well as how to leverage its features for better insights and actions.
Tools and Templates from Developers and Marketers
Finally, if you want to save time and effort in setting up, configuring, using, and optimizing GA4, you can also use these tools and templates from developers and marketers who have created them to help you with the migration process.
- GA4 Migration Checklist: A handy checklist by Loves Data that helps you plan and execute your GA4 migration smoothly and successfully.
- GA4 Configuration Template: A useful template by Loves Data that helps you configure your GA4 property according to best practices and recommendations.
- GA4 Event Builder: A simple tool by Google that helps you build and test custom events for GA4.
- GA4 BigQuery Export Schema: A reference document by Google that describes the schema of the data exported from GA4 to BigQuery.
GA4 migration is not a trivial task, but it is a worthwhile one. By migrating to GA4, you can take advantage of the latest innovations in web analytics and prepare your business for the future.
However, migrating to GA4 requires planning, testing, learning, and adapting. You need to understand the differences between UA and GA4, the benefits and challenges of GA4, and the best practices and tips for GA4.
To help you with this process, we have shared 20 resources for GA4 migration that cover everything from setting up GA4 to using its advanced features. We hope you find them useful and informative.
If you have any questions or comments about GA4 migration, feel free to leave them below. We would love to hear from you.👇